Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Soothing Scripture

Like many Americans today, I try to keep up with the news--at least the major headlines and also happenings in my town. And as I've heard so many people comment--especially in recent years--the news reports seem to get worse and worse.
We cannot ignore what's going on in our country and across the world, but I don't believe anyone wants to dwell on the bad news all the time.
As a Christian I often feel helpless when I hear about (or read) news reports of crime, wars, poverty, etc. ~ It often seems as if evil abounds, and is spreading.
BUT....as a Christian, I do not need to feel helpless or hopeless, because I have Someone in my life bigger than ALL the world's problems and evils. So I do the best I can, pray, and turn to God by reading His soothing reminders. My Bible is my most prized book, and even though I've read all the way through several times (and re-read certain Scriptures many, many times) I am still amazed at how certain passages seem to "grab" me--just when I need them!
This evening I was thinking about news I've read in recent days--fighting, tense situations, and turbulence---nothing good or hopeful.
So I began searching Bible verses for words to offer reassurance and hope. Soothing Scriptures, as I like to call them. The verse below is a wonderful reminder to us all that our hope is in our Lord, and with Him we can have courage and strength--even in a world that seems hopeless.
Be of good courage, and He shall strengthen your heart, all ye that hope in the Lord.  Psalm 31:24

No comments: