Thursday, August 25, 2011

Fragrant Reminders



Isn't it amazing how a certain smell or scent can evoke memories for us? Of course, the happy memories are the ones we like (and the pleasant scents too!). Yesterday I was grocery-shopping and spied a loaf of cinnamon bread. I didn't purchase it, but had to pick it up and sniff it through the plastic--it looked sooo yummy. Sure enough, it smelled as yummy as it looked, and suddenly in my mind I was transported back to when my three children were little, and thoughts of the cozy house we lived in then. For some reason, that particular cinnamon-bread smell made me think of our kitchen and those happy times when my children were very young (I was blessed to be a "stay-at-home" Mom for a while). Maybe it's because I baked a good bit when the children and I were at home (which we were most of the time), but whatever the reason that's where my thoughts traveled as I stood in the middle of the bakery section of the store. When I realized I had tears in my eyes (*sigh* I'm such an emotional Mom) I hastily set the cinnamon bread back on the shelf and forced myself to focus on finishing my shopping. Thankfully no one I knew was in the store then, because they might've wondered why I had tears while shopping in the bakery! ~ Later yesterday I thought back to that very small incident in the store, and it made me realize just how powerful our senses can be. Is there a particular fragrance that makes you think of a sweet memory?

6 comments:

Keli Gwyn said...

Cinnamon has such a wonderful scent, doesn't it?

We have lilacs in our backyard. I love to sink my nose into the fragrant blooms and inhale deeply of nature's perfume. When I do, I'm reminded of my beloved mother-in-law who had two green thumbs. She gave us the starts to our lilacs, and every whiff of their blossoms brings her to mind.

CatMom said...

Keli, I LOVE lilacs! What a precious reminder of your sweet mother-in-law--thank you for sharing that. :)

Sandra Orchard said...

I've kept one of my dear mom's tops tucked in the back of a drawer. And all these years later, I can still smell the faint hint of her and home.

CatMom said...

Oh Sandra---what a sweet way to remember your precious Mom (that brings tears...). It is truly amazing how fragrances can evoke such strong memories. ~ Thanks so much for stopping by my "Corner" and I hope you'll visit again! :)
Hugs, Patti Jo

Debby Mayne said...

I have those moments too, Patti Jo. Like you, I'm taken back in time to when my kids were small with the scent of cinnamon. Vanilla is another smell that does this for me. I remember one of my daughters telling me that the house always smelled wonderful when I was a stay-at-home mom, and it never smelled as good when I worked.

Thanks for the memories!

CatMom said...

Hi Debby! SO glad you stopped by, sweet friend. I love the comment your daughter made about the scent of your house *grin*. ~ I like the scent of vanilla too (especially when it's in ice-cream!).
Blessings, Patti Jo :)