Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Day By Day

 As I typed the title for this blog post, I couldn't help thinking of a lovely, older song from the musical Godspell, which was based on the gospel of Matthew in the Bible. I first saw this performed live when I was in college, and fell in love with the music. 

However, my post today isn't to highlight that song, lovely as it is, but to remind myself (and others!) the importance of taking one day at a time. We've heard the expressions, I'm sure:  Live one day at a time;  Don't borrow troubles from the future; Make the most of today. And the list could go on and on.

But I will confess that for most of my adult life, I've always felt overwhelmed when I have a lot of upcoming obligations, whether it's appointments, writing deadlines, or simply a "lot to get done" - - and I have a feeling I'm not alone! Many of us make our trusty TO-DO Lists, writing out and even prioritizing all we need to accomplish on a certain day or in a certain week. Looking at our lists can be overwhelming. Whew! 

This is when we need to remember that we can only do so much in one day. That's it. We do our best and accomplish all we can, but we need to be careful. We shouldn't get so caught up in tackling our lists that we don't enjoy life. Where I live it's the spring season right now - - and it is beautiful. Flowers blooming, trees filled with greenery, birds singing, and a soft breeze blowing underneath a bright, blue sky. Perfect! 

But if we're so intent on rushing around and tackling chores, we might not notice the beauty around us. So we take a deep breath and remember: We can only do so much in one day, and we need to make the most of each day. And may I begin each day with a heart of thanks---always. 💚 

This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.  Psalm 118:24 

         

No comments: